Wednesday, June 12, 2013

"I think I am quite ready for another adventure!"

I suppose I have to start blogging somewhere! My hubby Jason and I have been thrown into the farm business here in Woodstock. We are starting off small with a flock of 10 sheep, and hope to expand to be able to provide meat, wool and milk for our own family and to the community. We have a few Black American ducks and laying hens, and with the weather finally warming up, the garden is finally starting to take off...hopefully I'll have thousands of heirloom seeds to sell this autumn! I'm really excited to be growing bushel gourds this year, in addition to loofah sponges and birdhouse gourds. I am also growing a rare corn seed called glass gem corn!
 
 
 
 
 
 

We love our old place and despite the quirkiness and constant repairs required on a house that is 200+ years old, we thank our Heavenly Father every day for the opportunity to own our very own piece of paradise...(if paradise has the occasional scent of manure wafting through the breeze.) Please be patient with us as we develop our farm! Last week we did the unimaginable and sheared our own sheep. We had a few nicks and too many mistakes with second cuts on our wool, but overall we did a pretty good job (with 4-5 people helping with each sheep, lol) and today I started the sorting and washing process. It's beautiful oatmeal and auburn colored wool which I hope to begin carding and spinning into sellable yarn. I have lots of raw wool to work with and may just try to sell it, too...but there is something really wonderful about the smelly work of washing out a fleece. (No cheating with a washing machine!) I couldn't help but marvel about how this process has been going on at home for thousands of years, up until the last few generations. I am so blessed to be able to experience it with my family!

For more information on our farm, please visit http://samsbillthepony.wix.com/getting-liberty#

No comments:

Post a Comment