Wednesday, June 12, 2013

"Money can’t buy happiness but it can buy yarn, which is kind of the same thing.”

This weekend I grabbed an old book on wool spinning, my carders, a bag of freshly washed wool, and a drop spindle I made from tinker toys as my family headed down to Virginia Beach for the weekend. I didn't take nearly enough wool because after only a few hrs in the car, I had a good technique down and actually had spun a substantial amount by the time I ran out of wool! It was so easy and amazing, I taught my 7 and 8 yr old how to do it! The wool is so soft and almost has a silky quality to it. The oatmeal color has flecks of auburn which are just beautiful. It's not perfect, but I am excited to set the spin and try out a crochet project! It will take some significant time to spin enough to have yarn to sell, but I do have 4 bags full of sheared wool waiting to be washed! I think I'd better ask my hubby for a spinning wheel for Christmas!

After returning from our trip, we had two lambs sitting in the refrigerator waiting to be butchered. I've never actually eaten lamb, so after about 2 hrs of slicing and trimming and occasionally sawing (through the ribcage... that is quite an experience) I made a lamb-burger out of some leftover cuts. Ohhhhh, so tender and delicious! I am hooked! We had a roast for dinner tonight cooked in the crock pot with just rosemary and sea salt. It was the best meat I've ever tasted. Only the very slightest 'sheepy' aftertaste, as the kids call it.  So rewarding to have taken the lamb from pasture to table!


For more information on our farm, please visit http://samsbillthepony.wix.com/getting-liberty#

 

No comments:

Post a Comment